Thursday, June 6, 2019

Where to Land...



                                    How did we chose our landing spots?


You might want to know how we chose the airports where we landed.  It started with locations where Claudette and I wanted to stop and see a few certain people so we chose an airport near our friends.  We also wanted to help the Appalachian Aviatrixes (99s) with an event they were holding at KTRI.  I really wanted to land at the airport near where I went to high school.  Then the process became more arduous.  I started looking for top 10 things to do in each state.  

We discussed the mission -- Was the mission to land in all 48 states or have a fun sightseeing trip?  It is really to land in the states. We pared down the adventure and chose airports in fairly straight lines.  We occasionally revised the plan when someone recommended a particular stop.  Our initial goal was to land in at least two states per day.  On this trip, most of the days have had two landings, some three, and one four in a day.  Landing in multiple states works for this year's flying adventure when we are east of the Mississippi River.  However, next year, when we are west of the Mississippi, we may only get one landing a day.  We are not pushing to exhaustion.  We are basically flying approximately 3 hours per day.  

A final consideration is that MOJO is a bit prissy and I wanted her safely tucked away in a hangar overnight to keep her safe from weather.  Many of our interim stops were small, non-towered air strips.  However, for our overnight stays, we wanted a hangar and services available and generally a tower.  We want to especially THANK Pam at KTRI  FBO and Rectrix FBO at KBAF  for not charging us for the hangar.  Brandywine Airport FBO only charged for two of the three nights.  THANK YOU for helping us.



WE DID IT!!




You may think it is easy to do a blog.  It has been a learning experience.  We are getting better.  Here we are with all of our technology to help.

2 comments:

  1. Women of Aviation Excellence,
    CONGRATULATIONS on a super performance thus far. I believe I speak for every reader of this blog who knows you two when I say "We're all very impressed."
    Great photo of you two, triumphant, smiling almost gleeful, especially given what you have just been through and what you dealt with in a very thoughtful, conscientious, pragmatic manner. Just like the pilots you were trained to be! Whoo Rah!
    Kudos to you both for following through on the blog. I don't know about the rest of the readers, followers, but I get a lot out of your posts. I enjoy them immensely. I believe I can maybe appreciate just a little about the work you're doing on this blog. I've not kept up with it in the prior three days because of activities here at home. However, today Saturday, June 8th I've been here responding to your Day 8 to Day 10 posts with my comments, question and realizations for more than 6 hours. I'm responding because I want you both to know someone is reading these and enjoying your work and effort on this wonderful trip and in the sharing here on "RV Landings in 24+ 24 States".
    Thanks to women who make it happen,
    Dan Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment, a question really, is to Dr. Lucy Jones who has contributed multiple times to this blog. Lucy you have done several blogs and currently I believe maintain more than one blog.

    Lucy would you say it is easy to create and maintain a well done responsive blog?

    Anyone else out there with experience in blogging?
    Dan Miller

    ReplyDelete